This trial shows that tailored light treatment can improve sleep, reduce depression and reduce agitation in people with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia.
- Sleep Disorder
3 Primary · 3 Secondary · Reporting Duration: Change from Baseline (week 0) and intervention (week 4)
2 Treatment Groups
1 of 2
1 of 2
45 Total Participants · 2 Treatment Groups
Primary Treatment: Active Intervention · Has Placebo Group · N/A
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 65+ · All Participants · 1 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Figueiro, Mariana G., Barbara Plitnick, Charles Roohan, Levent Sahin, Michael Kalsher, and Mark S. Rea. 2019. “Effects of a Tailored Lighting Intervention on Sleep Quality, Rest–activity, Mood, and Behavior in Older Adults with Alzheimer Disease and Related Dementias: A Randomized Clinical Trial”. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM). doi:10.5664/jcsm.8078.
- Figueiro, Mariana, Barbara Plitnick, Anna Lok, Geoffrey Jones, Patricia Higgins, Thomas Hornick, and Mark Rea. 2014. “Tailored Lighting Intervention Improves Measures of Sleep, Depression, and Agitation in Persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia Living in Long-term Care Facilities”. Clinical Interventions in Aging. Informa UK Limited. doi:10.2147/cia.s68557.
- Figueiro, Mariana G., Robert Hamner, Patricia Higgins, Thomas Hornick, and Mark S. Rea. 2012. “Field Measurements of Light Exposures and Circadian Disruption in Two Populations of Older Adults”. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. IOS Press. doi:10.3233/jad-2012-120484.
- Hanford, Nicholas, and Mariana Figueiro. 2013. “Light Therapy and Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementia: Past, Present, and Future”. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. IOS Press. doi:10.3233/jad-2012-121645.
- Hanford N, Figueiro M. Light therapy and Alzheimer's disease and related dementia: past, present, and future. J Alzheimers Dis. 2013;33(4):913-22. doi: 10.3233/JAD-2012-121645.
- Figueiro MG, Hamner R, Higgins P, Hornick T, Rea MS. Field measurements of light exposures and circadian disruption in two populations of older adults. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;31(4):711-5. doi: 10.3233/JAD-2012-120484.
- Mariana Figueiro 2020. "Methodology Issues in a Tailored Light Treatment for Persons With Dementia". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01816152.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the enrollment capacity of this experiment?
"Affirmative. Evidence found on clinicaltrials.gov indicates that this investigation, which was initially published on January 1st 2020, is currently enrolling volunteers. 45 individuals need to be recruited from 5 different sites." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Is this trial still recruiting participants?
"Affirmative. According to the information available on clinicaltrials.gov, this medical experiment is now open for enrolment and was initially posted in 2020. The trial necessitates 45 participants from 5 distinct sites, with its most recent update taking place at the end of 2022." - Anonymous Online Contributor
How many locales are hosting this clinical trial?
"Five trial sites are enrolling patients for this clinical study, with Hawthorne Ridge in East Greenbush, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in Troy and Teresian House in New York all participating. Additionally, there are another 5 medical centres actively recruiting participants." - Anonymous Online Contributor