This trial will test if a combination of an inhaled corticosteroid and a beta agonist can prevent ARF in hospitalized patients with pneumonia and hypoxemia better than placebo.
- Coronavirus Pneumonia
- Low Oxygen Levels
- Acute Respiratory Failure
1 Primary · 5 Secondary · Reporting Duration: within 7 days of randomization
2 Treatment Groups
1 of 2
1 of 2
600 Total Participants · 2 Treatment Groups
Primary Treatment: Intervention · Has Placebo Group · Phase 3
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 18+ · All Participants · 3 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Levitt, Joseph E., Emir Festic, Manisha Desai, Haley Hedlin, Kenneth W. Mahaffey, Angela J. Rogers, Ognjen Gajic, et al.. 2021. “The ARREST Pneumonia Clinical Trial. Rationale and Design”. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. American Thoracic Society. doi:10.1513/annalsats.202009-1115sd.
- Nicolau, Dan V, and Mona Bafadhel. 2020. “Inhaled Corticosteroids in Virus Pandemics: A Treatment for COVID-19?”. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/s2213-2600(20)30314-3.
- Nicolau DV, Bafadhel M. Inhaled corticosteroids in virus pandemics: a treatment for COVID-19? Lancet Respir Med. 2020 Sep;8(9):846-847. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30314-3. Epub 2020 Jul 30. No abstract available.
- Joseph Levitt, MD 2020. "ARrest RESpiraTory Failure From PNEUMONIA". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04193878.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any other examples in the medical literature of this type of treatment?
"In 2007, the Arthur F Gelb Medical Corporation first studied the effects of this intervention. As of now, there are 433 completed studies and 39 ongoing clinical trials. The majority of these active studies take place in Scottsdale, Arizona." - Anonymous Online Contributor
How many locations are conducting this experiment?
"There are many locations enrolling patients for this study, but to list a few: Mayo Clinic - Scottsdale in Scottsdale, Arizona, Mayo Clinic - Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida, and New York University - Langone Health in New York City." - Anonymous Online Contributor
What disorders or injuries is Intervention meant to address?
"Vasomotor rhinitis, acute coryza, and proteinuria are all conditions that can find relief through the use of Intervention." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Has the FDA sanctioned this particular course of treatment?
"There is some evidence supporting the efficacy of the Intervention, as well as multiple rounds of data indicating that it is safe, so we have given it a score of 3." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Are patients currently being recruited for this research?
"From what is available on clinicaltrials.gov, this research project is still looking for patients to take part. The trial was first advertised on June 1st 2020 and the listing was updated as recently as August 8th 2022." - Anonymous Online Contributor
How many subjects are enrolled in this experiment?
"That is correct. The clinical trial was posted on 6/1/2020 and is looking for 600 patients from 13 sites, according to information available on clinicaltrials.gov" - Anonymous Online Contributor