Electroencephalographic (EEG) for Major Depressive Disorder
This trial looked at whether depression symptoms were linked with changes in brain activity caused by electroconvulsive therapy.
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
7 Primary · 0 Secondary · Reporting Duration: Up to 8 weeks during patients ECT treatment course
1 Treatment Group
Patients with Treatment-Resistant Depression
1 of 1
90 Total Participants · 1 Treatment Group
Primary Treatment: Electroencephalographic (EEG) · No Placebo Group · N/A
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 18+ · All Participants · 2 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Lopez, Jorge, Robert Hoffmann, and Roseanne Armitage. 2010. “Reduced Sleep Spindle Activity in Early-onset and Elevated Risk for Depression”. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2010.05.014.
- Kho, King Han, Michiel Floris van Vreeswijk, Steve Simpson, and Aeilko H. Zwinderman. 2003. “A Meta-analysis of Electroconvulsive Therapy Efficacy in Depression”. The Journal of ECT. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health). doi:10.1097/00124509-200309000-00005.
- Kafashan M, Brian Hickman L, Labonte AK, Huels ER, Maybrier H, Guay CS, Subramanian S, Farber NB, Ching S, Hogan RE, Kelz MB, Avidan MS, Mashour GA, Palanca BJA. Quiescence during burst suppression and postictal generalized EEG suppression are distinct patterns of activity. Clin Neurophysiol. 2022 Oct;142:125-132. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2022.07.493. Epub 2022 Jul 30.
- Kho KH, van Vreeswijk MF, Simpson S, Zwinderman AH. A meta-analysis of electroconvulsive therapy efficacy in depression. J ECT. 2003 Sep;19(3):139-47. doi: 10.1097/00124509-200309000-00005.
- MohammadMehdi Kafashan 2020. "CET- REM (Correlating ECT Response to EEG Markers)". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04451135.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many individuals are being accepted into this medical study?
"Affirmative, the information on clinicaltrials.gov alludes to this trial's active recruitment status. This medical research was first advertised on October 9th 2020 and updated most recently on June 14th 2022; it seeks 90 individuals from a single site for participation." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Does this research endeavor need additional participants?
"Affirmative. According to clinicaltrials.gov, the study has been actively recruiting since October 9th 2020 and it was last modified on June 14th 2022. There is an urgent need for 90 individuals at one medical site." - Anonymous Online Contributor