This trial will investigate whether ultrasound is a reliable tool for imaging the tooth-gum complex for patients under orthodontic treatment.
- Gum Disease
- Alveolar Bone Loss
5 Primary · 0 Secondary · Reporting Duration: through study completion, an average of 1 year
Awards & Highlights
1 Treatment Group
1 of 1
60 Total Participants · 1 Treatment Group
Primary Treatment: Intraoral ultrasound · No Placebo Group · N/A
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 10 - 60 · All Participants · 2 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
Who else is applying?
What state do they live in?
How old are they?
|18 - 65||100.0%|
What site did they apply to?
|Oral Health Clinic, 8th Floor, Kaye Edmonton Dental Clinic.||100.0%|
What portion of applicants met pre-screening criteria?
- Nguyen, K.C.T., D.Q. Duong, F.T. Almeida, P.W. Major, N.R. Kaipatur, T.T. Pham, E.H.M. Lou, M. Noga, K. Punithakumar, and L.H. Le. 2020. “Alveolar Bone Segmentation in Intraoral Ultrasonographs with Machine Learning”. Journal of Dental Research. SAGE Publications. doi:10.1177/0022034520920593.
- Nguyen, Kim-Cuong T., Lawrence H. Le, Neelambar R. Kaipatur, Rui Zheng, Edmond H. Lou, and Paul W. Major. 2016. “High-resolution Ultrasonic Imaging of Dento-periodontal Tissues Using a Multi-element Phased Array System”. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. doi:10.1007/s10439-016-1634-2.
- Nguyen, Kim-Cuong T., Lawrence H. Le, Neelambar R. Kaipatur, and Paul W. Major. 2016. “Imaging the Cemento-enamel Junction Using a 20-mhz Ultrasonic Transducer”. Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology. Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2015.09.012.
- Nguyen, Kim-Cuong T., Camila Pachêco-Pereira, Neelambar R. Kaipatur, June Cheung, Paul W. Major, and Lawrence H. Le. 2018. “Comparison of Ultrasound Imaging and Cone-beam Computed Tomography for Examination of the Alveolar Bone Level: A Systematic Review”. Edited by Li Zeng. Plos One. Public Library of Science (PLoS). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0200596.
- Nguyen KT, Pacheco-Pereira C, Kaipatur NR, Cheung J, Major PW, Le LH. Comparison of ultrasound imaging and cone-beam computed tomography for examination of the alveolar bone level: A systematic review. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 3;13(10):e0200596. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0200596. eCollection 2018.
- 2021. "Intraoral Ultrasound Imaging of Tooth-periodontium Complex". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04971642.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many people are allowed to participate in this research project at one time?
"That is correct, the website provides current information that this trial is looking for 60 individuals from 1 site. The trial was first posted on February 10th, 2021 and updated December 9th, 2021." - Anonymous Online Contributor
If you had a choice, who would you rather have in this research project?
"This trial is for patients who have alveolar bone loss and are between the ages of 10 and 60. They are looking to recruit a total of 60 people for the clinical trial." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Does this research opportunity extend to people who are not yet 65 years old?
"In order to participate in this research, individuals must be between the ages of 10 and 60. Out of the 100 clinical trials, 5 are for patients younger than 18 and 94 are for patients older than 65." - Anonymous Online Contributor