This trial will explore how CGM and mHealth platforms can help people with diabetes better control their weight and improve eating and exercise habits.
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Resistance
- Weight Loss
- Abdominal Obesity
5 Primary · 0 Secondary · Reporting Duration: During enrollment in the trial for a maximum of 5 years, including a 1 year follow up period, for a maximum of 6 years.
Awards & Highlights
1 Treatment Group
Signos digital health app and CGM
1 of 1
20000 Total Participants · 1 Treatment Group
Primary Treatment: Signos digital health app and CGM · No Placebo Group · N/A
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 18+ · All Participants · 9 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Hall H, Perelman D, Breschi A, Limcaoco P, Kellogg R, McLaughlin T, Snyder M. Glucotypes reveal new patterns of glucose dysregulation. PLoS Biol. 2018 Jul 24;16(7):e2005143. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.2005143. eCollection 2018 Jul.
- Adams OP. The impact of brief high-intensity exercise on blood glucose levels. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2013;6:113-22. doi: 10.2147/DMSO.S29222. Epub 2013 Feb 27.
- Zeevi D, Korem T, Zmora N, Israeli D, Rothschild D, Weinberger A, Ben-Yacov O, Lador D, Avnit-Sagi T, Lotan-Pompan M, Suez J, Mahdi JA, Matot E, Malka G, Kosower N, Rein M, Zilberman-Schapira G, Dohnalova L, Pevsner-Fischer M, Bikovsky R, Halpern Z, Elinav E, Segal E. Personalized Nutrition by Prediction of Glycemic Responses. Cell. 2015 Nov 19;163(5):1079-1094. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2015.11.001.
- Baron AD. Impaired glucose tolerance as a disease. Am J Cardiol. 2001 Sep 20;88(6A):16H-9H. doi: 10.1016/s0002-9149(01)01832-x.
- Brown A, McArdle P, Taplin J, Unwin D, Unwin J, Deakin T, Wheatley S, Murdoch C, Malhotra A, Mellor D. Dietary strategies for remission of type 2 diabetes: A narrative review. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2022 Feb;35(1):165-178. doi: 10.1111/jhn.12938. Epub 2021 Sep 1.
- Chin SO, Keum C, Woo J, Park J, Choi HJ, Woo JT, Rhee SY. Successful weight reduction and maintenance by using a smartphone application in those with overweight and obesity. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 7;6:34563. doi: 10.1038/srep34563.
- Ebbeling CB, Knapp A, Johnson A, Wong JMW, Greco KF, Ma C, Mora S, Ludwig DS. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on insulin-resistant dyslipoproteinemia-a randomized controlled feeding trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2022 Jan 11;115(1):154-162. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqab287. Erratum In: Am J Clin Nutr. 2022 Jan 11;115(1):310.
- Ehrhardt N, Al Zaghal E. Behavior Modification in Prediabetes and Diabetes: Potential Use of Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2019 Mar;13(2):271-275. doi: 10.1177/1932296818790994. Epub 2018 Aug 1.
- The Lancet Diabetes Endocrinology. Metabolic health: a priority for the post-pandemic era. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021 Apr;9(4):189. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(21)00058-9. Epub 2021 Mar 4. No abstract available.
- Galderisi A, Giannini C, Weiss R, Kim G, Shabanova V, Santoro N, Pierpont B, Savoye M, Caprio S. Trajectories of changes in glucose tolerance in a multiethnic cohort of obese youths: an observational prospective analysis. Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2018 Oct;2(10):726-735. doi: 10.1016/S2352-4642(18)30235-9. Epub 2018 Aug 24.
- Gonzalez-Rodriguez M, Pazos-Couselo M, Garcia-Lopez JM, Rodriguez-Segade S, Rodriguez-Garcia J, Tunez-Bastida C, Gude F. Postprandial glycemic response in a non-diabetic adult population: the effect of nutrients is different between men and women. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2019 Jul 17;16:46. doi: 10.1186/s12986-019-0368-1. eCollection 2019.
- Guyenet SJ, Schwartz MW. Clinical review: Regulation of food intake, energy balance, and body fat mass: implications for the pathogenesis and treatment of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Mar;97(3):745-55. doi: 10.1210/jc.2011-2525. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- Hamley S, Kloosterman D, Duthie T, Dalla Man C, Visentin R, Mason SA, Ang T, Selathurai A, Kaur G, Morales-Scholz MG, Howlett KF, Kowalski GM, Shaw CS, Bruce CR. Mechanisms of hyperinsulinaemia in apparently healthy non-obese young adults: role of insulin secretion, clearance and action and associations with plasma amino acids. Diabetologia. 2019 Dec;62(12):2310-2324. doi: 10.1007/s00125-019-04990-y. Epub 2019 Sep 6.
- Hyde PN, Sapper TN, Crabtree CD, LaFountain RA, Bowling ML, Buga A, Fell B, McSwiney FT, Dickerson RM, Miller VJ, Scandling D, Simonetti OP, Phinney SD, Kraemer WJ, King SA, Krauss RM, Volek JS. Dietary carbohydrate restriction improves metabolic syndrome independent of weight loss. JCI Insight. 2019 Jun 20;4(12):e128308. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.128308. eCollection 2019 Jun 20.
- Stephanie Kim, M.D., MPH 2023. "Signos DM2 Empowerment Study (SIGNOS-CGM-EMPOWER-201-2022)". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05874635.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any opportunities for individuals to become involved in this research endeavor?
"Clinicaltrials.gov lists this trial as actively seeking participants, with the first post date being dated back to May 11th 2023 and most recent update having taken place on May 16th of the same year." - Anonymous Online Contributor
How many participants are currently enrolled in this clinical trial?
"Affirmative. Clinicaltrials.gov reflects that this clinical trial is actively recruiting candidates since the initial post date of May 11th 2023, and its most current update on May 16th 2023. It requires approximately 20,000 patients to be recruited from one site." - Anonymous Online Contributor