FMT capsule + SIMBA Capsule for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
This trial is studying if gut bacteria from healthy donors can help people with OCD. It will use stool analysis and SIMBA capsules to measure changes in the gut microbiome.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
2 Primary · 7 Secondary · Reporting Duration: 0-13 weeks
1 Treatment Group
FMT capsule + SIMBA Capsule
1 of 1
20 Total Participants · 1 Treatment Group
Primary Treatment: FMT capsule + SIMBA Capsule · No Placebo Group · Phase 2
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 18 - 65 · All Participants · 3 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Wlodarska M, Kostic AD, Xavier RJ. An integrative view of microbiome-host interactions in inflammatory bowel diseases. Cell Host Microbe. 2015 May 13;17(5):577-91. doi: 10.1016/j.chom.2015.04.008.
- O'Hara AM, Shanahan F. The gut flora as a forgotten organ. EMBO Rep. 2006 Jul;7(7):688-93. doi: 10.1038/sj.embor.7400731.
- Gorkiewicz G, Moschen A. Gut microbiome: a new player in gastrointestinal disease. Virchows Arch. 2018 Jan;472(1):159-172. doi: 10.1007/s00428-017-2277-x. Epub 2017 Dec 14.
- Liu HN, Wu H, Chen YZ, Chen YJ, Shen XZ, Liu TT. Altered molecular signature of intestinal microbiota in irritable bowel syndrome patients compared with healthy controls: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Dig Liver Dis. 2017 Apr;49(4):331-337. doi: 10.1016/j.dld.2017.01.142. Epub 2017 Jan 21.
- Zhong L, Shanahan ER, Raj A, Koloski NA, Fletcher L, Morrison M, Walker MM, Talley NJ, Holtmann G. Dyspepsia and the microbiome: time to focus on the small intestine. Gut. 2017 Jun;66(6):1168-1169. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2016-312574. Epub 2016 Aug 3. No abstract available.
- Grace E, Shaw C, Whelan K, Andreyev HJ. Review article: small intestinal bacterial overgrowth--prevalence, clinical features, current and developing diagnostic tests, and treatment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Oct;38(7):674-88. doi: 10.1111/apt.12456. Epub 2013 Aug 20.
- Ghoshal UC, Shukla R, Ghoshal U. Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Bridge between Functional Organic Dichotomy. Gut Liver. 2017 Mar 15;11(2):196-208. doi: 10.5009/gnl16126.
- Luna RA, Foster JA. Gut brain axis: diet microbiota interactions and implications for modulation of anxiety and depression. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2015 Apr;32:35-41. doi: 10.1016/j.copbio.2014.10.007. Epub 2014 Nov 21.
- Camilleri M. Probiotics and irritable bowel syndrome: rationale, putative mechanisms, and evidence of clinical efficacy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2006 Mar;40(3):264-9. doi: 10.1097/00004836-200603000-00020.
- Desbonnet, Lieve, Lillian Garrett, Gerard Clarke, John Bienenstock, and Timothy G. Dinan. 2008. “The Probiotic Bifidobacteria Infantis: An Assessment of Potential Antidepressant Properties in the Rat”. Journal of Psychiatric Research. Elsevier BV. doi:10.1016/j.jpsychires.2008.03.009.
- Eutamene H, Bueno L. Role of probiotics in correcting abnormalities of colonic flora induced by stress. Gut. 2007 Nov;56(11):1495-7. doi: 10.1136/gut.2007.124040.
- Gareau MG, Jury J, MacQueen G, Sherman PM, Perdue MH. Probiotic treatment of rat pups normalises corticosterone release and ameliorates colonic dysfunction induced by maternal separation. Gut. 2007 Nov;56(11):1522-8. doi: 10.1136/gut.2006.117176. Epub 2007 Mar 5. Erratum In: Gut. 2008 Apr;57(4):560.
- Sullivan A, Nord CE. Probiotics and gastrointestinal diseases. J Intern Med. 2005 Jan;257(1):78-92. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2004.01410.x.
- Girard, Stéphanie-Anne, Thierno Madjou Bah, Sévan Kaloustian, Laura Lada-Moldovan, Isabelle Rondeau, Thomas A. Tompkins, Roger Godbout, and Guy Rousseau. 2009. “lactobacillus Helveticusandbifidobacterium Longumtaken in Combination Reduce the Apoptosis Propensity in the Limbic System After Myocardial Infarction in a Rat Model”. British Journal of Nutrition. Cambridge University Press (CUP). doi:10.1017/s0007114509990766.
- Logan AC, Katzman M. Major depressive disorder: probiotics may be an adjuvant therapy. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(3):533-8. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2004.08.019.
- Rao, A Venket, Alison C Bested, Tracey M Beaulne, Martin A Katzman, Christina Iorio, John M Berardi, and Alan C Logan. 2009. “A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Pilot Study of a Probiotic in Emotional Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”. Gut Pathogens. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. doi:10.1186/1757-4749-1-6.
- Messaoudi, Michaël, Robert Lalonde, Nicolas Violle, Hervé Javelot, Didier Desor, Amine Nejdi, Jean-François Bisson, et al.. 2010. “Assessment of Psychotropic-like Properties of a Probiotic Formulation (lactobacillus Helveticusr0052 Andbifidobacterium Longumr0175) in Rats and Human Subjects”. British Journal of Nutrition. Cambridge University Press (CUP). doi:10.1017/s0007114510004319.
- Dickerson FB, Stallings C, Origoni A, Katsafanas E, Savage CL, Schweinfurth LA, Goga J, Khushalani S, Yolken RH. Effect of probiotic supplementation on schizophrenia symptoms and association with gastrointestinal functioning: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2014;16(1):PCC.13m01579. doi: 10.4088/PCC.13m01579. Epub 2014 Feb 13.
- Valerie Taylor 2023. "A Clinical Trial of Fecal Microbiota Transplantation in a Population With Obsessive-compulsive Disorder". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05720793.
Frequently Asked Questions
What potential adverse effects could arise from the combination of FMT capsule and SIMBA Capsule?
"The existing evidence on FMT capsule + SIMBA Capsule's safety is sufficient to warrant a score of 2. This Phase 2 trial has not yet produced any data regarding the medication's efficacy, but there are multiple studies indicating its safety profile." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Does the study requirements include elderly participants aged 85 and over?
"This clinical trial has a narrow age range of 18 to 65. However, there are additional studies dedicated specifically for those under 18 and over 65 respectively; 20 trials and 67 trials in total." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Are new participants still being sought for this scientific endeavor?
"As per clinicaltrials.gov, the recruitment for this medical trial has closed since the last changes made to it were on February 7th 2023. Nonetheless, there are currently 106 other trials actively searching for participants." - Anonymous Online Contributor
What are the desired outcomes of this experiment?
"The primary outcome metric for this Nimble Science Ltd.-sponsored study, evaluated over a 0-13 week period of time, is the Toronto Side Effects Scale (TSES). Additionally, secondary assessments will be conducted to gauge Global function/overall improvement; these include The General Anxiety Disorder-7 scale (GAD-7), Positive and Negative Affect Schedule (PANAS) as well as Patient Health Questionnaire-9(PHQ9)." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Am I eligible to enroll in this clinical experiment?
"This clinical trial is enrolling 20 individuals between the ages of 18 and 65 who have been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). To be eligible, patients must also meet the following requirements: a confirmed OCD diagnosis, at least 12 weeks of SSRI treatment prior to baseline assessment, and evidence that their current medication has not adequately managed symptoms." - Anonymous Online Contributor