This trial will assess if a mitochondrial antioxidant (MitoQ) can reduce CVD risk among Black Americans, who are disproportionately affected by CVD. Researchers will measure blood pressure, vascular function, and biomarkers of kidney function before & after 8 weeks of MitoQ/placebo.
- Vascular Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Cardiovascular Disease
6 Primary · 14 Secondary · Reporting Duration: Baseline (pre-intervention)
2 Treatment Groups
1 of 2
1 of 2
60 Total Participants · 2 Treatment Groups
Primary Treatment: MitoQ · Has Placebo Group · N/A
Who is running the clinical trial?
Age 45 - 75 · All Participants · 5 Total Inclusion CriteriaMark “Yes” if the following statements are true for you:
- Snow BJ, Rolfe FL, Lockhart MM, Frampton CM, O'Sullivan JD, Fung V, Smith RA, Murphy MP, Taylor KM; Protect Study Group. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study to assess the mitochondria-targeted antioxidant MitoQ as a disease-modifying therapy in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2010 Aug 15;25(11):1670-4. doi: 10.1002/mds.23148.
- Gane EJ, Weilert F, Orr DW, Keogh GF, Gibson M, Lockhart MM, Frampton CM, Taylor KM, Smith RA, Murphy MP. The mitochondria-targeted anti-oxidant mitoquinone decreases liver damage in a phase II study of hepatitis C patients. Liver Int. 2010 Aug;30(7):1019-26. doi: 10.1111/j.1478-3231.2010.02250.x. Epub 2010 May 18.
- Gioscia-Ryan RA, Battson ML, Cuevas LM, Eng JS, Murphy MP, Seals DR. Mitochondria-targeted antioxidant therapy with MitoQ ameliorates aortic stiffening in old mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2018 May 1;124(5):1194-1202. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00670.2017. Epub 2017 Oct 26.
- Rossman MJ, Santos-Parker JR, Steward CAC, Bispham NZ, Cuevas LM, Rosenberg HL, Woodward KA, Chonchol M, Gioscia-Ryan RA, Murphy MP, Seals DR. Chronic Supplementation With a Mitochondrial Antioxidant (MitoQ) Improves Vascular Function in Healthy Older Adults. Hypertension. 2018 Jun;71(6):1056-1063. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.117.10787. Epub 2018 Apr 16.
- Austin Robinson 2022. "Mitochondria Oxidative Stress and Vascular Health Study". ClinicalTrials.gov. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05561556.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are adults of the requisite age being enrolled in this experiment?
"The age range for this study is 45 - 75 years old." - Anonymous Online Contributor
Is participation in this study open to the public at this time?
"According to clinicaltrials.gov, this medical research is presently recruiting patients and has been since December 6th 2022. The trial was last amended on January 31st 2023." - Anonymous Online Contributor
How many participants have been approved to take part in the experiment?
"Affirmative, according to clinicaltrials.gov the trial is actively recruiting participants as of now. It was first posted on December 6th 2022 and most recently revised on January 31st 2023. The study requires 60 individuals from a single medical site." - Anonymous Online Contributor
What are the key aims of this research project?
"This 8-week trial will measure changes in nitric oxide bioavailability as its primary outcome. Secondary outcomes include assessing levels of subjective sleepiness using the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, gauging an individual's chronotype through the Munich Chronotype Questionnaire, and quantifying insomnia severity with the Insomnia Severity Index." - Anonymous Online Contributor
What characteristics are sought in participants of this research endeavor?
"This trial is currently accepting up to 60 volunteers aged 45-75 with high blood pressure. In addition, they must display a BMI of less than 40 Kg/m2, be free from metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, have no medical conditions which impede them from exercising or donating plasma, and not suffer any allergies linked to MitoQ substances for eligibility." - Anonymous Online Contributor