Your session is about to expire
← Back to Search
This trial is testing whether a text-based quitting program can help rural cancer patients who smoke, quit smoking. The program gradually reduces the amount of cigarettes smoked, with the goal of quitting altogether.
Inclusion CriteriaYou will be eligible if you check “Yes” for the criteria below
Study ObjectivesOutcome measures can provide a clearer picture of what you can expect from a treatment.
Awards & Highlights
Find a Location
Who is running the clinical trial?
- You are not under hospice care at the moment.You smoke at least 5 cigarettes a day currently.This person lives in a rural county that has a RUCC code of 4-9.You own a cell phone or smartphone with texting capability.You were diagnosed with cancer in the past 10 years and are currently receiving treatment that aims to cure the cancer.You are not under hospice care currently.You are not currently using any medication or participating in a program to help you quit smoking.You are not currently using any medication to help you quit smoking, such as nicotine replacement therapy, bupropion or varenicline. You are also not currently enrolled in a program to help you quit smoking.You have a mental health condition that makes it difficult for you to understand and make decisions about the study.You want to quit smoking and are not currently enrolled in a program to quit smoking.You want to quit smoking and are not currently enrolled in another program to quit smoking.You were diagnosed with cancer less than 10 years ago and are currently receiving treatment with the goal of being cured.You smoke at least 5 cigarettes every day.
- Group 1: Group I (SGR program, text messages)
- Group 2: Group II (booklet)
- No Placebo-Only Group - All patients enrolled in this study will receive some form of active treatment.
- Pivotal Trial - The final step before approval, pivotal trials feature drugs that have already shown basic safety & efficacy.
- Screening: It may take up to 3 Weeks to process to see if you qualify in this trial.
- Treatment: The duration you will receive the treatment varies.
- Follow Ups: You may be asked to continue sharing information regarding the trial for 6 Months after you stop receiving the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this study being conducted in more than one location within the city limits?
"The Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Illinois, Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital in Reed City, Michigan, Illinois, Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital in Reed City, Michigan, and Illinois CancerCare-Galesburg in Galesburg, Iowa are 3 of the 92 locations where this trial is recruiting patients."
Are recruitment efforts for this clinical trial still underway?
"Recruitment for this clinical trial is ongoing, as seen on clinicaltrials.gov. The listing was first posted December 1st, 2021 and updated August 2nd, 2022."
How many people are being helped by this experiment?
"In order to gain the desired data, this clinical trial requires 600 participants that meet specific inclusion criteria. Patients can go to The Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Illinois or Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital in Reed City, Michigan, Illinois or Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital in Reed City, Michigan to take part."
What is the official government stance on this method for quitting smoking?
"There is some evidence to support the efficacy of this smoking cessation intervention, as well as data from multiple rounds of testing that attest to its safety. For these reasons, our team at Power has rated the safety of this intervention a 3."
Who else is applying?
What state do they live in?
How old are they?
What portion of applicants met pre-screening criteria?
What site did they apply to?
Share this study with friends