The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking an Equipment Manager for our Football program.
Description of Position:
The Football Equipment Manager is responsible for equipment safety standards, policy, compliance and inventory for football, as well as for other programs as assigned. The Football Equipment Manager, under the general supervision of the Director of Equipment, will assist with the overall equipment operation of the Cal Athletics’ Football program and may have occasional involvement with the other 29 Division I varsity sports that include both Men’s and Women’s programs. This position’s responsibilities include: ordering, sizing, inventory, issuing, returning, maintaining, and monitoring all apparel and equipment for the Football program as well as overseeing student manager staff. The Football Equipment Manager reports to the Director of Equipment and is part of a team of 6 full time employees plus student workers.
- The Football Equipment Manager maintains inventory records for football as well as for any other assigned athletic teams.
- Fits student-athletes with proper size of equipment and uniforms.
- Works closely with assigned coaches, advising them with respect to the purchase, issue and return of all athletic equipment.
- Supervises and accounts for the issue, return, storage, and maintenance of the athletic equipment for assigned intercollegiate sports.
- Coordinates laundry to implement process for all practice and game clothing, uniforms to support team practice and games for each sport assigned.
- Works directly with representatives from vendor companies to research, select, and purchase necessary clothing and equipment for sport teams.
- Responds to inquiries and requests from members of senior staff and donors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of program activity and best practices, especially as it pertains to Division I Football.
- Thorough knowledge of AEMA best practices and methodologies.
- Problem-solving skills; multi-task, work with frequent interruptions, and effective listener.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Customer service focused attitude and ability to work with a diverse work group
- Must be organized and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with rapidly changing deadlines and multiple priorities.
- AEMA Certification – Athletic Equipment Manager’s Association.
- Must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pacific-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Experience as an equipment manager for either a football team, or a Division I revenue sport or a professional team.
For more information on our department, please visit www.calbears.com. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
It is mandatory that you apply for this position on the Berkeley Jobs Website by visiting http://jobs.berkeley.edu, indicating job #26422. Please include a cover letter, resume, and three references submitted as a single attachment with your application.