Reports To Language Department Manager
Last Revision Date March 2020
Rate of Pay $22/hour
Hours Daytime, Monday-Friday ( 20 hours per week)
The Multicultural Association of Greater Moncton (MAGMA) has steadily grown as an unmatched provider of settlement services to refugees and newcomers in the Greater Moncton Area. Our non-profit organization plays a key role in the lives of its clients, and the promotion of diversity and inclusion in our region.
The Language Department delivers English as an Additional Language (EAL) courses to newcomers in the Greater Moncton Area and is currently reviewing applications for Casual Substitute Teaching positions. There is potential to move into a full time role and for movement within the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow the lesson plan when provided.
- Deliver LINC instruction to newcomer students emphasizing settlement issues to encourage self-sufficiency as they establish a new life in Canada.
- Instruct and assist students with language learning software in the LINC computer lab
- Participate in field trips, staff meetings, or other events that are part of the regular school activities.
- Ensure classrooms are clean and tidy at the end of the working shift.
- At the end of the substituting shift, provide the LINC instructor with a written summary detailing what topics/activities were covered during the class, including any additional activities that were incorporated.
- Keep accurate attendance records.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or TESL.
- TESL Canada certification (standard One or higher) is an asset.
- Experience working with adult ESL learners at various levels.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ability to create short-term lesson plans.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge incorporating technology into the ESL classroom.
- Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills.
The candidate should demonstrate the following:
- Leadership: Leads, coaches and develops others through clear communication, setting expectations, providing recognition and consistently following through on commitments. Models high standards of ethics and integrity.
- Diversity and Cross-Cultural Competency: Demonstrates cultural sensitivity and the ability to work with clients and colleagues coming from diverse backgrounds.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Fosters open communication and dialogue by sharing information, listening effectively, speaking honestly, and preparing written communications. Explains concepts clearly by providing concise and organized messages.
- Decision-making / Problem Solving: Considers the impact on the department, organization and other stakeholders when making decisions. Makes timely and sound decisions, even under situations of uncertainty. Acts decisively and creatively when implementing solutions to ensure they are in alignment to the vision and values of MAGMA and the Language Department.
- Initiative and Creativity: Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance; undertakes additional responsibilities; responds to situations as they arise with minimal supervision.
- Organization: Manages multiple projects; able to plan, set priorities, delegate work and meet timelines consistently; uses goals to guide actions; organizes and schedules people and tasks effectively.
- Flexibility: Remains open-minded; performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change; manages transitions from task to task effectively.
- Team-Building and Cooperative Partnership: Facilitates consensus and proactively avoids conflicts with individuals and groups through effective communication and problem resolution.
- Integrity: Understands that dealing with a vulnerable population requires that they conduct themselves with honesty, transparency and responsibility in all matters, and can provide a valid criminal record check.
Core Staff Duties
The following core responsibilities are required of all MAGMA staff:
- Event Participation: As a multicultural association, which networks extensively with other organizations as well as hosting a wide variety of events, MAGMA staff are asked to be flexible in arranging to take part, as these events usually take place outside of regular working hours. While each staff's role may involve specific activities, the staff are required to attend core events including the Annual General Meeting and the Mosaïq Multicultural Festival. Time spent at these events is taken in lieu.
- Administration: As a government-funded organization we are required to report in detail on our activities. Staff are therefore required to submit a variety of regular reports on the fulfilment of their role requirements.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be expected to perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
How to Apply
To apply, please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please indicate the role you are applying for, and clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements indicated above.